About the Customer
Headquartered in New Jersey, the client is a leading provider of bulk freight shipping services throughout the Great Lakes region. With its subsidiaries, the company operates a fleet of 10 self-unloading bulk carriers, including right river class vessels and one river class integrated barge unit and three conventional bulk carriers operating under a contract of affreightment.
PRODUCTS & SERVICES
Azure Virtual Machines
Azure Virtual Network
Azure Active Directory
Azure SQL Databases
Azure Site Recovery
Azure Security Centre
Azure Backup Server
Operations Management Suite
Azure Managed Services
- A remote on-premise data center running on Hyper-V clusters had scalability and uptime challenges.
- Insufficient bandwidth for replication, data transfer and potential downtime for production VMs running business operations.
- High CAPEX incurred to manage expensive legacy hardware.
- The client needed a new centralized infrastructure with a multi-site global presence in a short turnaround time.
- The customer needed a cost-effective solution for its development and staging environments.
- A seamless backup solution was needed.
The SNP Solution
- The customer engaged SNP Technologies to migrate its on-premise infrastructure running on Hyper-V clusters to Microsoft Azure.
- SNP implemented a hybrid environment on Microsoft Azure, leveraging Azure Site Recovery to migrate the client’s virtual machines from an on-premise Hyper-V host to Azure.
- SNP designed the DR solution with advanced capabilities, including low risk, low downtime, seamless replication, and production environment effectiveness and efficiency.
- SNP verified the applications and roles being performed by the on-premise servers to provide the best options for migrating to virtual machines.
- Development and staging environments were built on the fly.
- SNP deployed the Virtual Network, Subnetting, and Azure Storage Services on Azure as a part of preparing the Azure Infrastructure.
- SNP implemented multi-site VPNs for the client’s remote offices, ensuring Azure is the central site running their infrastructure.
- SNP Implemented the Azure Site Recovery services and created recovery plans.
- Automation run-books with recovery plans were applied for minimal RTO.
- Replicated the virtual machines that needed to be migrated from the data center.
- Performed IP mapping between multi-tier application servers.
- Prepared failover batches, and executed the failover based on defined timelines.
- Migrated the infrastructure to achieve RTO and RPO specifications.
- Leveraged recovery services as a backup solution for images and applications.
- Azure Security Center was utilized as a part of Azure Security Implementation.
- SNP’s pre-built solutions were used for operational insights, log analysis and automated assessments of the infrastructure based on industry best practices.
- Deployed Azure managed services for incident management, advanced insights, and optimization management.
- The hybrid approach gave the customer the ease to move its entire infrastructure to Azure in one go without any interruptions on an ongoing basis.
- Security and data protection was enhanced by leveraging network security groups along with virtual networks, subnets, and computers.
- With multi-site VPNs, Azure is the central hub for hosting the server infrastructure required by the client’s various remote offices to manage day to day operations.
- Azure Backup helped the client back up all its workloads faster, more cost effectively and more securely.
- On-demand scalable infrastructure.