Legacy Application Modernization with Microsoft Azure
Every year, businesses spend a significant amount of money to maintain their legacy applications. By taking advantage of the Microsoft Azure Cloud, enterprises of all sizes can now move their legacy applications to a better infrastructure which enables faster development while reducing IT costs significantly.
SNP Technologies has identified three common scenarios customers can leverage to modernize their legacy applications and infrastructure with Microsoft Azure.
- Scenario 1: Cloud Infrastructure-based Applications — This is when enterprises want to migrate or rehost their existing on-premises applications to the Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) platform. Here the apps will maintain their existing composition, but they are deployed to virtual machines (VMs) in the Cloud. This form of migration is known as “Lift & Shift” which is ideal for enterprises looking for a- migration first and modernize later strategy.
- Scenario 2: Cloud Optimized Applications — Here, enterprises can gain additional benefits without significantly rearchitecting the code and can run applications with modern Cloud technologies like containers or through other cloud-managed services. Also, you can deploy the containers on Platform as a Service (PaaS) or IaaS to databases, monitoring, cache as a service, and CI/CD (continuous integration/ and continuous deployment) pipelines. This is essential for enterprises looking to migrate their applications and databases to the Managed - Platform as a service.
- Scenario 3: Cloud-Native Applications — This is driven by the business needs and targets the modernizing approach for mission-critical applications. In this scenario, you can use PaaS services to move the apps to PaaS computing platforms. New code is often required to be written, especially while moving to cloud-native applications or microservice-based models. This approach helps gain the benefits, which are hard to achieve in a consistent or on-premises application environment. This migration scenario is ideal for enterprises who are ready to invest in modernizing their application practices with cloud-native services.
Some key business benefits of migrating and modernizing your applications and infrastructure with Microsoft Azure include:
- Platform Benefits: Microsoft Azure is a powerful and flexible foundation for your existing and new applications – it is a full-stack Cloud that covers frontend, backend, data, intelligence, Ops, SecOps and DevOps.
- Security: Microsoft Azure provides a highly secure foundation for your infrastructure and applications with built-in security services and unique intelligence to help quickly protect your workloads and manage threats.
- Fully Managed: Built-in auto-scaling, CI/CD, load balancing and failover, hence no configuration is necessary.
- Superior Tooling: Advanced monitoring, telemetry and debugging with integration with Visual Studio, GitHub, BitBucket, and Azure DevOps.
- Familiar: Microsoft Azure is enterprise-ready and proven; it runs your existing ASP.NET apps, allowing you to use your existing knowledge and skills.
Are you looking to modernize yours for applications? Our team can help transform your applications to become more agile and efficient. Contact us here.