Every year, businesses spend a significant amount of money maintaining legacy enterprise applications. By taking advantage of the cloud, enterprises of all sizes can move their legacy applications to a better infrastructure like Microsoft Azure, which enables faster development and can reduce IT costs significantly. Azure uses containers to help modernize applications faster and it brings together everything your business needs to run more efficiently — including products, services, and third-party applications.
Although companies’ application migration strategies vary depending on their priorities and the applications they want to migrate, here are three common scenarios used to modernize legacy applications with Microsoft Azure:
Scenario 1: Cloud Infrastructure-based Applications — Migrate or rehost your existing on-premises applications to the Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) platform. The apps will have almost the same composition as before, but they can now be deployed to virtual machines (VMs) in the cloud. This form of migration is known as “Lift & Shift.”
Scenario 2: Cloud Optimized Applications — Gain additional benefits without significantly rearchitecting the code and running your applications with modern cloud technologies like containers or through other cloud-managed services. Also, you can deploy the containers on Platform as a Service (PaaS) or IaaS to databases, monitoring, cache as a service, and CI/CD (continuous integration/continuous deployment) pipelines.
Scenario 3: Cloud-Native Applications — This is driven by the business needs and targets the modernizing approach for mission-critical applications. In this level, you can use PaaS services to move the apps to PaaS computing platforms. New code often required to be written, especially while moving to cloud-native applications or microservice-based models. This approach helps to gain the benefits, which are hard to achieve in a consistent or on-premises application environment.
Consider the following ways on how Microsoft Azure can help you modernize your applications:
- Platform Benefits: Microsoft Azure is a powerful and flexible foundation for existing and new apps – its full-stack cloud covers frontend, backend, data, intelligence, and DevOps.
- Security: Microsoft Azure provides a highly secure foundation for your infrastructure and applications providing you with built-in security services and unique intelligence to help quickly protect your workloads and stay ahead of threats.
- Fully Managed: Built-in auto-scaling, CI/CD, load balancing and failover and no configuration necessary.
- Superior Tooling: Advanced monitoring, telemetry and debugging. Plus, integration with Visual Studio, GitHub, TFS, BitBucket, Dropbox, and VSTS.
- Familiar: Microsoft Azure is enterprise-ready and proven; it runs your existing ASP.NET apps, allowing you to use your existing knowledge and skills.
Are you looking to modernize yours for applications? Our team can help transform your applications to become more agile and efficient. Contact us here.